This is a farmers' market fresh produce dream-come-true salad! Summer harvests yield heirloom tomatoes and herbs vibrantly displayed all over town; add the delicious all-season (depending on regions) red beets into the mix, and this salad is a scrumptious way to celebrate seasonal farmers' market produce. Yum!
I love utilizing summer produce. Eating seasonally is an awesome way to enjoy the freshest foods and support local farmers. This easy-to-make summer salad recipe is always a crowd pleaser for picnics, barbecues, or a light lunch. Juicy tomatoes, roasted red beets, tangy radishes, fresh cilantro, and crumbled goat cheese creates a beautiful blend of flavors and nutrients.
The salad dressing is simple: olive oil and lemon juice with a dash of black pepper and sea salt. That's the way we like it! Fresh produce and easy preparation equals a great combination.
We also adore the health benefits from fresh tomatoes and beets. Did you know that tomatoes are super high in Vitamin C? Yes! Vitamin C is vital for boosting immunity to keep us healthy and active all summer long. Tomatoes are also a fantastic source of lycopene, which has been linked to many health benefits, including improving cardiovascular function and reducing heart disease. Add the beet’s amazing nutritional benefits, such as Vitamin C, Iron, Potassium, and Vitamin B9 (Folate), and this salad is filled with anti-inflammatory and immunity boosting benefits. Keep in mind that tomatoes are part of the nightshade family, so if you are allergic to this family of vegetables and fruits, you may want to avoid tomatoes.
For more fabulous summer salad ideas, stop by 15 Summer Beet Salad Recipes. If you can’t stop your obsession with beets this summer, our “Beet” the Heat: Blood Orange, Beet Juice, and Lime Slushy Virgin Margarita is definitely calling your name.
What is your favorite summer produce?
ROASTED BEET, HEIRLOOM TOMATO, AND GOAT CHEESE SALAD RECIPE
INGREDIENTS (Serves 2)
2 red small-medium red beets
2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes or 2-3 small heirloom tomatoes
1/2 cup radishes, sliced
2 tbsp fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese (or feta)*
2 tbsp lemon juice, fresh
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp pepper, preferably coarse
* When using cheese, we prefer locally sourced organic cheese and preferably goat cheese, unless using goat milk feta. Many grocery stores sell cow’s milk feta, which is not traditional Greek feta.
1. Gently wash beetroots and roast (click here for roasting tips).
2. While beets are roasting, wash tomatoes and radishes and slice. For more tips on preparing beets, you may like Rekindle Your Relationship with the Beet Using These 5 Tips.
3. To make dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, and pepper. Set aside dressing.
4. After beets are fully roasted, let beets cool enough to handle. Remove skins with a pairing knife or gently rub off skins with a paper towel. Slice beets.
5. Arrange roasted beets, tomatoes, and radishes on a serving platter or individual salad plates. Sprinkle with cilantro and goat cheese. Lightly drizzle with dressing and serve immediately. This is a very light dressing, so add more if you prefer a super dressed salad. Enjoy!