Tangy arugula, sweet orange, and earthy roasted beet create a delicious blend of flavors in this vibrantly nutritious salad.
Are you a fan of arugula? Although baby kale and spinach seem to be the popular "power-up" go-to greens, changing your green base for salads offers unique flavors and nutrition. Filled with health benefits, arugula is tangy and flavorful. Plus -this cruciferous vegetable is jam-packed with Vitamin K, crucial for assisting calcium function and improving bone health. In addition to the superhero greens factor, combined with oranges and red beets, this salad contains tons of Vitamin C for immunity, potassium and magnesium for healthy nerve-function. Thank you, Mother Nature!
Focusing on the incredible flavors of beets, oranges, and arugula, this colorful salad features a simple and light dressing adding a tad more citrus with garlic and a hint of sweet honey. Enjoy!
Beet Orange Salad with Lemon Garlic Dressing Recipe
INGREDIENTS (about 4 servings)
2-3 small-medium red beets, peeled and sliced or quartered
4 cups arugula (1 cup per serving)
2-3 oranges peeled, cut in segments
1-2 tbsp sesame seeds or sunflower seeds
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
2-3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper to taste
1. Gently wash beetroots and roast (click here for roasting tips).
2. While beets are roasting, wash oranges, removing pith (fleshy white membrane) and cutting into segments.
3. To make dressing, in a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, olive oil, honey, and garlic cloves. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside dressing.
4. After beets are fully roasted, let beets cool enough to handle. Remove skins with a pairing knife or gently rub off skins with a paper towel. Slice or quarter beets.
5. Place oranges and beets on a bed of arugula. Dress the salad and sprinkle sesame seeds on top.