Looking for a healthy non-dairy milkshake? We've got you covered! Filled with tasty ingredients, such as fresh mint, frozen bananas, almond milk, plant-based protein powder, vegan yogurt, vanilla extract, and beet leaves (yes, beet greens!), this is one extra MINTY and nutrient-dense vegan smoothie.
Although many people are familiar with eating the root portion of the beet, beet leaves (the leafy greens atop the beetroot) offer a stunning natural green color and many fantastic health benefits.
Beet greens are a wonderful source of Calcium, Iron, Vitamin A (beta-carotene), Vitamin C, and Vitamin K. In fact, beet greens may have more iron than spinach! Studies show that beet greens fight Alzheimer's disease, strengthen bones warding off osteoporosis, and strengthen the immune system.
If the health benefits aren't enough to get you super jazzed to drink this GREENtastic smoothie, the creamy delicious taste will!
5 Reasons This Vegan Smoothie Will Sham”Rock” Your Day:
1. This smoothie tastes like a "milkshake" and is filled with healthy ingredients. If you love deliciously frothy shakes, especially minty ones, this smoothie will make your body do a happy dance. Plus - for anyone with dairy allergies, this smoothie tastes like a "shake” without the full-fat milk.
2. No artificial green dyes! This vibrant green smoothie utilizes mother nature's beautiful "chlorophyll" to create a natural green color. Using vibrant beet greens enhances the color even more. Check out these tips on selecting quality beet greens.
3. Filled with fiber, beet greens smoothies help the body detox and flush out toxins and encourage healthy digestion.
4. Beet greens and bananas are high in potassium, a mineral that is vital for helping the body balance fluids in the body and promoting proper nerve and muscle function. Too much pub crawling? Beet greens help replenish minerals and fluids, so you can recover faster!
5. This smoothie is packed with vitamins, such as Calcium, Vitamin A (beta-carotene), Vitamin C, and Vitamin K. Beet greens fight Alzheimer's disease, strengthen bones warding off osteoporosis, and improve the immune system. For more beet greens recipes and nutrition details, check out Superhero Sauteed Beet Greens and 15 Creative Ways to Use Beet Greens.
Are you a fan of beet greens? I would love to hear about your beet greens adventures. Cheers!
Minty Shamrock Vegan Smoothie with Beet Greens and Banana Recipe
2-3 frozen bananas
8-10 fresh mint leaves (add more for extra minty flavor)
1/3 cup vegan yogurt*
1 scoop of unflavored plant-based protein powder, such as Vega or Plantfusion, for extra protein!
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Raw cacao nibs
*For a sweeter taste, use vanilla or honey coconut-milk yogurt.
1. Buy organic beet greens when available.
2. Thoroughly and gently rinse beet greens and mint leaves. Remove beet greens and mint leaves from stems. Save stems for an awesome beet stem side-dish.
3. Blend almond milk, mint leaves, and beet greens until smooth. Add frozen bananas and yogurt and blend, adding more liquid if needed.
4. Top with chocolate chips, raw cacao nibs, or shredded coconut. Enjoy!