Looking for an easy and tasty veggie side-dish? Give some love to beets! Beets are beautiful, delicious, and nutritious. This Easy Roasted Beets with Crumbled Gorgonzola recipe from Your Daily Food Choices is fantastically simple and filled with flavor, an absolute dream for the beet AND Gorgonzola lovers. Not a blue cheese fan? Substitute feta or goat cheese.
Roasting beets is a unique way to transform the beetroot's quirky and subtle taste, creating a smoky and sweet flavor with a satisfying al dente crunch (if not roasted too long). Topped with olive oil, sea salt, and pepper, roasted beets provide a fabulous side dish.
For the beet enthusiasts looking for ways to eat more beets, visit Eating the Beet from Root to Leaf and peruse over 20 delicious recipes and tips on preparing beetroot, beet stems, and beet leaves.
What is your favorite way to roast beets? I look forward to hearing from you!
INGREDIENTS (serves 6)
8 to 10 small to medium beets, about 2 bunches with greens*
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons crumbled Gorgonzola for garnish
How-to Prepare Beet Greens & Stems
Beet greens and stems can also be steamed in soups or blended raw in smoothies.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Wash & scrub the beets. Remove tops, leaving 1 inch of stem. Save tops and make sautéed beet greens. Cut off beetroot tails.
3. Place cleaned beets onto a baking tray. Drizzle beets with olive oil, then salt and pepper to taste. Roast beets until tender for 40 to 60 minutes, depending on size of beets.
4. Remove from oven and let cool enough to handle. Peel the beets and slice into rounds or wedges.
5. Place beets into serving dish. Reheat in microwave if needed. Garnish with crumbled gorgonzola. Enjoy!
Photo and recipe by Your Daily Food Choices.