Are you looking for new ways to use beetroot in your kitchen or have a hankering for a crunchy and healthy snack? Bake a batch of Rosemary and Garlic Beet Chips. Beet chips are delicious and filled with vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants; snack to your heart's content!
I am a self-proclaimed "snacker." This obsession with crunchy, salty, and savory snacks started as a child. In family photo albums, there is a good chance that my side-kick snacks make appearances in most of my pictures. There are photos of me holding Fruit Roll-ups while perched on rocks in the desert, eating a granola bar in the backseat of our station wagon, or carrying pretzels around the backyard. To this day, I still consistently tote snacks . . . sometimes even on the way to the store to buy more snacks. I am an equal opportunity snack lover, but when craving something crunchy, delicious, healthy, and home-made, beet chips are the perfect snack. What is your experience with home-made chips? From one "snacker" to another, I would love to hear your tales of snacking adventures.
Rosemary and Garlic Beet Chips Recipe
2 bunches* Red & Golden Beets (4-5 beets), rinsed and scrubbed
3-4 Tsp Olive Oil
Sea Salt & Black Pepper (to taste)
3 Garlic Cloves, minced
4-5 Sprigs Rosemary, roughly chopped (or 2-3 tsp finely chopped rosemary)
2 bunches may seem extreme, but if you are going to invest time in these chips, you may want to make a BIG batch; they will be devoured fast!
*After removing the beetroot from its stems, save the beet greens for other delicious dishes. Beet greens are nutritious and can be added raw to smoothies, baked as chips, or sauteed with olive oil and garlic.
Tips for Baking THE Best Beet Chips
Drizzle or brush with oil to get crispy chips
Arrange sliced beets in single layers
Dry freshly cut beet slices to avoid soggy beet chips
Use a mandolin (stainless steel is best) for thin, evenly sliced chips
Coconut Oil & Dill, Smoked Salt & Paprika, Bragg's Nutritional Yeast & Chili Powder, Bragg's Liquid Aminos & Ginger, Cinnamon & Sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and place oven rack in the center of the oven.
2. Thinly slice beets (keep skins attached) with a mandolin or a sharp knife, getting them as consistently thin as possible. 1/16" is an ideal thickness. They should curl a little when cut. This will ensure even baking and crispiness.
3. Divide between two baking sheets and spray or very lightly drizzle with olive oil. Gently toss to coat or apply oil to veggies with a pastry brush. Toss with sea salt, black pepper (to taste), minced garlic, and chopped rosemary. Then arrange in a single layer, making sure the slices aren’t touching.
4. Bake for 20 minutes or until crispy and slightly brown. Rotate pans once halfway through the baking and flip beet chips (if motivated). Be sure to watch closely past the 15 minute mark as chips can burn quickly.
5. Remove from oven and let cool. Then serve. Beet chips are best served fresh from the oven.
Adapted from The Minimalist Baker.