Nothing beats the chill of Winter and combats a seasonal cold-virus like a steaming hot bowl of soup brimming with immunity boosting ingredients. Besides the delightfully toasty temperature and delicious flavor, beets, carrots, apples, and ginger are high in vitamins and antioxidants that boost immunity, increase cardiovascular function, and provide other healing properties.
I have a special place in my heart for ginger. Commonly referred to as a "ginger" since I was born with red hair, ginger (the spice) and I formed a natural bond. An ingredient traditionally used in Asian and Indian cuisine, ginger is one of my favorite spices in recipes and also as a natural remedy for soothing an upset stomach, preventing and eliminating a "cold" virus, and reducing inflammation. Studies also show that ginger has antiseptic properties acting as a cough suppressant. Combined with the vitamins and minerals found in beets, apples, and carrots, this soup is a natural way to improve immunity during the cold season and keep you warm during chilly days.
Beet Soup, eh? Many people are not thrilled with the idea of slurping pureed beets, but before disregarding the possibility of beet soup becoming your new favorite Fall soup (if it isn't already), imagine the beautiful marriage of flavors: earthy beet, tart apple, zesty ginger, and sweet carrot all combined into one steamy bowl of deliciousness. Yes! Beet soup can (and IS) delicious! This recipe may surprise your taste buds with its delicious veggies and fruit (apple) sauteed with onion, garlic, and pepper.
Beet, Carrot, Apple, and Ginger Soup contains a subtle flavor of ginger, but of course, you can flavor the soup to your liking. Do you want more spice? Be generous with the minced ginger and perhaps add some cayenne, creating an even stronger immunity boosting blend of ingredients. If you prefer a saltier soup, be liberal with the sea salt grinder. Cheers to toasty warm soup and healthy immune systems this Fall and Winter!
For more beet soup recipes, try borscht, one of the beet's most infamous soups.
Do you have a favorite beet soup recipe? I would love to hear from you. Comment below.
Beet, Apple, Carrot and Ginger Vegan Soup Recipe
3 medium red beets
2 cups apple (Granny or other tart varieties)
4 large carrots
1 cup chopped onion (yellow or white)
5 cups vegetable stock
1-2 tsp coconut oil
2 tbsp ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Garnish with cilantro, goat cheese or vegan cheese, Bragg's Nutritional Yeast, diced apples, minced ginger, pine nuts, Greek yogurt or vegan yogurt, or coconut milk.
Just Beet It Tip
Oven roasting beets and carrots for about 15 minutes prior to adding them to the saucepan will create more flavor.
1. Gently wash beets, carrots, and apples (Click here for selecting and storing beetroots).
2. Peel apples and beets (Beet skins are edible. If you have a quality high-speed food processor, you may wish to keep skins attached. Beet skins tend to make the soup more chunky but not any less delicious).
3. Cut beets and carrots into quarters or small chunks. Cut apples into smaller chunks or cubes.
4. Heat oil or butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add chopped onions and saute until golden brown.
5. Add minced ginger and garlic to saucepan. Cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
6. Add beets, carrots, apples, and stock (or water if preferred).
7. Reduce heat, cover saucepan, and simmer until vegetables and apples are tender. Time varies between 25-35 minutes depending on sizes cut.
8. In a food processor, puree soup in small batches.
9. Taste soup and adjust seasonings to taste.
10. Garnish with cilantro, goat cheese, Parmesan cheese, Bragg's Nutritional Yeast, sour-cream, pine nuts, or coconut milk or yogurt.