Smoke out and spice up with a delicious Beeta-Rita (Beet Margarita)! Mezcal, tequila's smokin' "sister," adds an epic campfire flavor combined with refreshing citrus, earthy and sweet beet simple syrup, and a KAPOW kick of hot pepper. Planning a summer barbecue or picnic in your backyard? This Beeta-Rita cocktail may be your new best friend!
Tequila vs. Mezcal
What's the difference between tequila and mezcal? Tequila and mezcal are often made from the same kind of plant; however, they taste quite differently. Tequila is made from blue agave, but mezcal can be made from various agave varieties. Furthermore, when making tequila, agave hearts are often steamed; whereas, agave hearts are wood-roasted for mezcal. This wood-roasting practice is what gives mezcal its signature smoky flavor, and the signature smoky essence is what makes this spirit uniquely perfect for creating a delicious Beeta-Rita (beet margarita). There are many ways to serve margaritas, but this one is best served on the rocks with a coarse salt rim and topped with extra jalapenos! For extra spice and flavor, shake up all ingredients in cocktail shaker and refrigerate for an hour or two. This allows the jalapeno slices to marinate and adds fantastic spice (but not too much) to the beet simple syrup and citrus combination. If you wish to create a less sweet (sans simple syrup version) replace beet simple syrup with fresh beet juice (about 2 oz). Yum!
Have a hankering for some wine, beer, or spirits but don't want to leave the comforts of your home or pjs? Are you familiar with Drizly (known as the "uber" of liquor)? This app is super convenient! You can access Drizly online or use the app to order your favorite ingredients and have them delivered without ever leaving your house. If you live in one of Drizly's expansive delivery areas, your purchases can be delivered to your home in about one hour or less. Pretty impressive, right? Drizly delivered Fidencio Mezcal to my door, and it was perfect for the flavor and complexity envisioned for this unique beet cocktail. Fidencio Mezcal is remarkably balanced with a beautiful blend of smoky flavor and a clean crisp finish.
Thirsty for more fabulous veggie cocktails? Try these delicious BEETastic drinks: The Final Frontier: Beet "Tom Collins" Martini, Pretty in Pink: Pickled Beet Dirty Martini, and We Got the "Beet": Moscow Mule.
Smokin’ Hot Beeta-Rita: Beet, Mezcal and Jalapeno Margarita Recipe
INGREDIENTS (serves 1-2, depending on glass size)
2 oz Fidencio Mezcal (or a preferred brand)
2 oz fresh lime juice
1 oz beet simple syrup
4 oz fresh orange juice
4-5 muddled jalapeno slices (5 + for extra heat!)
lime salt or kosher salt (for rim)
sugar (for rim)
1. With a lime wedge, rub a rocks or margarita glass around the rim.
2. Rim with salt or salt/sugar combo.
3. In a shaker, combine mezcal, lime juice, orange juice, beet simple syrup, muddled jalapeno slices, and ice cubes. Shake!
4. Strain into a rocks or margarita glass over fresh ice or serve straight up. Garnish with a lime wedge. Add extra jalapeno slices in glass for added spice!
This post contains sponsored content brought to you by Drizly. We received free product to review, but all opinions presented here are 100% our own. For further information please see our Disclaimer page.
SPICY BEETA-RITA MOCKTAIL
Not a fan of alcohol, create a refreshingly fabulous Beeta-Rita Mocktail.
6 oz beet juice*
3 oz lime juice
2 oz orange juice
1 oz agave nectar
salt and/or sugar for rim
4-5 muddled jalapeno slices (5+ for extra heat!)
* For a quick mocktail or if a juicer isn't handy, use cold-pressed beet juice (Like Love Beets, etc.). You may also use store-bought orange juice and apple juice (preferably 100% juice without added sugar).
1. Mix beet juice, lime juice, orange juice, and agave nectar in margarita or juice pitcher or shake in a shaker cup with ice.
2. Muddle jalapeno slices with a dash of lime juice and add to the mix to marinate for a few minutes. Leave in for extra heat or remove before drinking.
3. Salt/sugar each glass rim and serve over ice or blend with one cup of ice for a blended Beeta-rita!