Beets and Pesto and Goat Cheese, Oh My!
Enjoy a party in your mouth with every bite of this guilt and Gluten-Free Beet Pesto Pizza. I love it when my favorite ingredients collide into one fantastic, vibrant, and delicious meal (Thanks, mom, for finding and sharing this recipe with me).
Yes - creating this tasty gluten-free pizza takes some time, but it is definitely worth the effort. Sip your favorite iced-tea or a glass of wine, listen to some soul-filled jazz, and enjoy the pizza-creating process because a little anticipation makes this meal even more amazing. Packed with antioxidants, beets are also high in Folate, Fiber, Magnesium, Potassium, Manganese, and Iron making this pizza a powerhouse of nutritional benefits. Thank you, beets. Although this pizza is not vegan, the recipe is definitely vegan friendly as there are many alternatives to using eggs and cheese. You may wish to use an egg substitute (3:1 water to Chia seeds) and/or cashew cheese. Creating a vegan pesto with Bragg's Nutritional Yeast and walnuts is also a nutritious option. Explore various toppings and share your experiences with me. I would love to hear from you.
- 1 cup red beets, chopped and roasted
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely diced
- 1/2 cup roasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup goat cheese
- 1 cup red spinach
- 1/2 golden beet, thinly sliced with mandolin or sharp knife
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees
- Dice up beets into one-inch thick cubes
- Wrap in tinfoil and place on a thin baking sheet
- Put in oven for 50 minutes
- Prepare other ingredients for pesto
- In a large mixing bowl, combine your almond flour, eggs, salt, and coconut oil and mix well
- Lightly oil parchment paper with coconut oil and lay over a small pizza pan (about 8 1/2 inches or so).
- Press the dough into the parchment paper-lined pan
- Place the dough into the oven for 10-15 minutes, depending on the size/thickness of your dough
- When your beets are done, remove them and let them cool
- Transfer all pesto ingredients into a food processor/blender and blend until you have a smooth, pureed mixture
- When dough is ready, remove from the oven and let cool slightly
- Spoon on your pesto evenly, leaving space for your crust
- Layer on your red spinach leaves over the pesto
- Add on the thin slices of golden beets
- Sprinkle your mozzarella and goat cheese evenly over the pizza
- Put back in oven for 15-20 minutes, until your cheese begins to brown slightly
Remove from oven, let cool, and then slice and enjoy!
Photo Credit: Mimi McCormick/ Recipe from Aloha.com.