Beets, Espresso, and Chocolate . . . Oh My! These brownies will delight your soul. I discovered this recipe on gardenerd (founded by the fabulous Christy Wilhelmi) and fell in love with the scrumptious combination of beets, espresso, and chocolate, a dream come true! Although I prefer a low sugar diet, there are ways to include healthier ingredients if that is also your preference. 1) Replace sugar with sugar-free applesauce (brownie consistency will vary) or a dash of Stevia, and 2) Use a gluten-free flour (brownies may be more dense) if you are gluten sensitive.
Experiment with ingredients and share your experiences with me. Cheers to beets and decadent desserts!
Red Velvet Beet Espresso Brownies Recipe
INGREDIENTS (Makes 16 brownies)
2 large cooked beets (Fresh is best; however, Love Beets and Trader Joe's both provide ready-to-eat beets as an easy, no-fuss alternative)
½ cup unsalted butter (or 2 Tbsp coconut oil)
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs (or egg substitute)
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tbsp instant espresso powder or real espresso grounds (use decaf instant coffee as a substitute if avoiding caffeine)
½ cup mini dark chocolate chips
Just Beet It Notes
Beets retain more of their vibrant color when cooked or steamed with their skins.
Use raw cacao powder if you want a healthy chocolate flavor. Raw Cacao contains more nutrients than cocoa powder.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. Purée beets in food processor until smooth, scraping down sides as necessary. Set aside.
3. Whisk together butter and sugar in bowl until smooth. Add vanilla, and then whisk in eggs one at a time. Stir in beets.
4. Whisk together flour, cocoa powder, and espresso powder in separate bowl. Fold flour mixture into beet mixture until just combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour into prepared pan.
5. Bake 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out almost clean. Cool, then cut into 16 squares.
The natural moist texture of beets keeps these brownies tender.
Photo Credit: Vegetarian Times