Beets, Berries, and Mint . . . Oh My!
I am a smoothie junkie. Truly- my day seems wonky if a smoothie hasn’t hit my system at some point throughout the day. Drinking a smoothie every day makes me feel happy, energized, and healthy. To be candid, fruit and veggie smoothies are high in fiber and keep us regular which is always a great thing, right?
My smoothie routine varies depending on my taste buds and the ingredients in the house, but this Beet, Berry, and Mint Smoothie never disappoints since it is packed with superhero nutrients and completely refreshing on a hot day! The tart and sweet berries combined with refreshing mint leaves and citrus from the fresh orange completely complement the beetroot.
Superhero Fiber, Antioxidants, Vitamins, and Minerals!
Are beets part of your diet? The beetroot is a powerhouse of nutrition. High in betalain, minerals such as potassium and magnesium, and Vitamins C & K (improving immunity and promoting healthy blood cells), beets are a nutritious addition to your diet. Berries are also high in antioxidants and Vitamin C, so this smoothie truly offers a fabulous immunity boost. Enjoy!
- 1 small to medium-sized raw beet
- 1/2 cup blueberries
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1/2 fresh orange, sectioned
- 1/2-1 inch fresh ginger root (remove skin and mince or zest)
- a handful of fresh mint leaves (to your preferred minty taste)
- a handful of greens (kale, spinach, beet leaves, or chard)
- 1 cup coconut water or almond milk (depends on the preferred texture)
- 1/2 cup ice (If some fruit is frozen, skip the ice)
Hemp seeds, unflavored protein powder, more greens, almond butter or coconut oil for extra fat, vanilla extract and/or cinnamon for added flavor
1. Buy organic when available.
2. Thoroughly and gently rinse all fresh produce.
3. Peel and quarter or cube the beet. Beet skins ARE edible; however, due to the texture, they are best removed for blending. If you have a Vitamix or another powerhouse blender, you may not notice the chunky skin texture.
4. Blend all ingredients and enjoy!
Freeze coconut water in ice cube trays for a quick, tasty way to chill drinks.
This blend of ingredients will make a vibrant fuchsia/pink color; however, to create a contrasting yellow smoothie, use golden beets, bananas, mango, and peaches.