Give yourself a delicious dose of love and heart-healthy goodness with a nutritious Beet, Strawberry, and Vanilla Smoothie. YOU deserve it!
Heart "BEET" Benefits
Besides being incredibly vibrant, beets and strawberries are rich in nutrients making this smoothie a tasty way to support your heart. Both red beets and strawberries contain high levels of flavonoids which help protect the heart from inflammation and reduce heart disease. Studies also show that berries, such as strawberries, and beets may help strengthen the lining of the arteries, creating healthier arteries and stronger hearts!
I am a sucker for bright foods and an even bigger sucker (a.k.a. lover) for healthy foods that taste like desserts. The earthy and sweet combination of beets and berries is the perfect marriage of flavors. Add a dash of vanilla, flavored or unflavored protein powder, and half a banana, and this nutrient-dense smoothie tastes like a creamy strawberry milkshake (without the dairy). Yum! Cheers to happy and healthy hearts.
Do you have a favorite heart-healthy smoothie? I would love to hear from you.
INGREDIENTS (serves 2 - Sharing is caring!)
- 1 small-medium raw red beet, chopped and peeled (organic preferably)
- 1 1/2 cup strawberries (organic preferably)
- 1/2 banana
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup (handful) spinach leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 scoop of unflavored or vanilla plant-based protein powder (Vega or Plantfusion are my go-to powders)
- 1 tsp honey for added sweetness (optional)
- 1/2 cup ice (optional)
For a creamier more "milk" shake consistency, use unflavored or honey Greek yogurt or vegan coconut yogurt. Enjoy!
2. Peel raw beetroot and cut in cubes or quarters. Wear gloves to avoid pink-stained fingers and use a non-porous cutting board.
3. In a high-speed blender, add all ingredients. Pulse until smooth. If using frozen strawberries, smoothie will be chilled. Add ice if using fresh fruit and you prefer a chilled smoothie.