I am having a love affair with grapefruit. It all started a few months ago when I purchased a giant bag of delicious pink grapefruits from Trader Joe's. On a whim, my fabulous husband cut grapefruit segments (as shown in the pictures), and now I am hooked. These giant grapefruit segments have changed my world!
Looking for a light and healthy Spring or Summer salad? This Golden Beet, Grapefruit, and Fennel Salad is divinely delicious offering a delightful combination of flavors and nutrients. Plus the colors from pink grapefruits, yellow beets, and purple onions are absolutely stunning.
Why Grapefruit and Beets?
Grapefruit is a delicious fruit high in Vitamin C and minerals, such as potassium. Grapefruit improves immunity and supports skin health, encouraging more radiant glowing skin. In addition to numerous health benefits from grapefruits, golden beets are filled with immune boosting and inflammation reducing antioxidants. You know what else rocks my socks about beets? Beets support healthy livers and digestion. Awesome! The light citrus flavor from grapefruits and oranges pairs well with "earthy" beets, so beyond the fabulous health benefits, this salad is uniquely flavorful.
Why I Love Fennel
Have you cooked with fennel? Fennel is known for its distinct licorice flavor and crunchy texture. Besides being delicious, fennel is also nutritious. Filled with minerals and vitamins, such as calcium, manganese, magnesium, and iron, fennel promotes bone health, balanced blood pressure, and healthy hearts. Adding the unique flavor of fennel with grapefruit and beets creates a magical salad experience.
For more beet and grapefruit combos, try Beet and Grapefruit Juice (with cayenne). Want to spend more quality time with fennel? Stop by Vermilion Roots for Christine's amazing Fennel and Pear Soup. Yum!
INGREDIENTS (Servings: 3-4)
- 3 medium golden beets (or red if preferred)
- 3 grapefruits
- 1/2 small-medium fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 medium naval orange
- 1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup loosely packed chopped fresh basil (optional)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh orange juice
- olive oil (to taste)
- sea salt and black pepper (to taste)
1. Gently wash beetroots and cook. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Individually wrap beets in foil.
2. Roast beets until tender when pierced with a knife. Roasting time varies on beetroot size, but aim for about 35-40 minutes.
3. While beets are roasting, peel orange and grapefruits, discarding all white pith and skins. Cut between membranes of grapefruits to release grapefruit segments.
4. Place peeled orange slices and grapefruit segments into medium-large salad bowl.
5. Add chopped or thinly sliced fennel bulb, removing and discarding any browned outer layers or spots.
6. Peel cooled beets, and slice beets into quarters or thin rounds.
7. Add beets and chopped onions to orange, grapefruit, and fennel pieces.
8. Spoon lemon juice and orange juice over salad ingredients.
9. Drizzle with olive oil.
10. Season to taste with sea salt and ground pepper.
11. Toss or lightly mix all ingredients. Garnish with thinly chopped basil leaves or mix basil leaves to salad. Refrigerate.
NOTES: Because fennel and beets are quite flavorful, lightly dressing the salad with olive oil and citrus juice seems to best compliment this salad's ingredients. A hint of lime juice also works well. Enjoy!