Looking for a vibrant and flavorful summer salad? Try a delicious Beet and Peach Salad with Basil and Goat Cheese. This salad contains incredibly healthy and tasty foods: yellow and red beets, peaches, basil, lemon juice, walnuts, and goat cheese. Adorned with sunflower seeds and a dash of salt and pepper, this fresh summer salad is a delight!
Besides the stunning taste, the ingredients are filled with antioxidants, vitamins, and healthy omega-3 fats, and minerals. Peaches and beets are high in essential minerals, such as potassium, which is key for promoting healthy kidneys and blood pressure. The beautiful peach is also a great source of Vitamin C, a vitamin that plays an important role in the body's formation of collagen, the support system for bones, joints, and skin. Don't forget to go "nuts" for nuts. Walnuts are a fantastic source of omega-3 fats, reducing inflammation and supporting heart health.
I am a passionate advocate for eating greens, so this salad's green "base" is basil. Although I often reach for kale, spinach, chard, or beet greens, using basil creates a uniquely crisp flavor (slightly peppery and minty) complimenting the earthy beetroot, sweet peaches, and slightly salty goat cheese. In addition to its incredible flavor, basil is a super-hero ingredient packed with Vitamin K and A and many anti-inflammatory benefits. Wahoo! My cells gleefully shimmy with every bite of this nutritious and unbelievably delicious salad, and I hope yours do too!
Are you a fan of peaches in salads? What are your experiences with fruit/veggie salad combinations? I look forward to hearing from you!
INGREDIENTS (2-3 servings)
- 2 medium beets*, peeled and cooked
- 1 1/2 fresh peaches, sliced or chopped
- 4 oz goat cheese or chevre
- 1/2 cup toasted walnuts or sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, torn or chopped
*Using 3-4 packaged ready-to-eat baby beets, such as Love Beets, will save time during the prep process. Baby beets are smaller than regular full-grown beets, so you may need 3-4 rather than 2 medium beets.
1. Wrap beets in parchment within aluminum foil (will help retain the moisture and nutrients) and roast in the oven for about 30 minutes at 350 F degrees. You may also steam beats. Beets are cooked when they are easily pierced with a fork. Open foil to allow beets to cool. After beets have cooled enough to handle, skins will easily slip off.
2. Whisk olive oil and lemon juice together in a medium bowl. Salt and pepper to taste. Add beets and peaches and toss gently. Add basil and again toss gently.
3. Keep salad in medium bowl or divide ingredients among 2-3 small plates. Garnish each plate with 1 oz of goat cheese and 1 tbsp sunflower seeds or walnuts. If keeping ingredients in bowl, add all ingredients and lightly toss. Enjoy!