Smoke out and spice up with a delicious Beeta-Rita (Beet Margarita)! Mezcal, tequila's smokin' "sister," adds an epic "campfire" flavor combined with refreshing citrus, earthy and sweet beet (simple syrup), and a KAPOW kick of hot pepper. Celebrating Cinco de Mayo? This Beeta-Rita cocktail may be your new best friend!
Tequila vs. Mezcal
Tequila and mezcal are usually made from the same kind of plant; however, they taste quite differently. Tequila is made from blue agave, but mezcal can be made from various agave varieties. When making tequila, agave hearts are often steamed; whereas, agave hearts are wood-roasted for mezcal. This wood-roasting practice is what gives mezcal its signature smoky flavor.
Although I have been an adoring fan of mezcal for a while, thanks to Drizly, I recently became acquainted (and fell in love) with Fidencio Mezcal when it was conveniently delivered to my doorstep.
Have a hankering for some wine, beer, or spirits but don't want to leave the comforts of your home or pjs? Pull up Drizly (known as the "uber" of liquor) online or use the app to order your favorite ingredients and have them delivered without ever leaving your house. If you live in one of Drizly's expansive delivery areas, your purchases can be delivered to your home in about one hour or less. Pretty impressive, right? Are you a Drizly fan? Share your experiences below.
1. With a lime wedge, rub a rocks or margarita glass around the rim.
2. Rim with salt/sugar combo.
3. In a shaker, shake mezcal, lime juice, orange juice, beet simple syrup, muddled jalapeno slices, and ice cubes.
4. Strain into a rocks glass over fresh ice or serve straight up in a margarita glass. Garnish with a lime wedge. Add extra jalapeno slices in glass for added spice!
Not a fan of alcohol, create a refreshingly fabulous Beeta-Rita Mocktail.
- 6 oz beet juice*
- 3 oz lime juice
- 2 oz orange juice
- 1 oz agave nectar
- salt and/or sugar for rim
- 4-5 muddled jalapeno slices (5+ for extra heat!)
* For a quick mocktail or if a juicer isn't handy, use cold-pressed beet juice (Like Love Beets, etc.). You may also use store-bought orange juice and apple juice (preferably 100% juice without added sugar).
1. Mix beet juice, lime juice, orange juice, and agave nectar in margarita or juice pitcher or shake in a shaker cup with ice.
2. Muddle jalapeno slices with a dash of lime juice and add to the mix to marinate for a few minutes. Leave in for extra heat or remove before drinking.
3. Salt/sugar each glass rim and serve over ice or blend with one cup of ice for a blended Beeta-rita!