The distinct pine-like fragrance of rosemary makes me smile with fond memories of camping in the woods under the trees, baking herb-infused shortbread cookies with family around the holidays, and sipping tea on chilly evenings while wearing flannel and rainbow-striped toe-socks. Yes - rainbow toe-socks! Rosemary is a charming, delicious, and versatile herb.
Rosemary Health Benefits
Native to the Mediterranean, historically rosemary has been used as a natural medicine and seasoning. The delicious herb is known for stimulating the immune system, increasing circulation, and improving digestion. Another fantastic benefit of rosemary is its use for increasing blood flow.
Carrot Health Benefits
Give a round of high-fives for the extraordinary health promoting beta-carotene found in carrots. With a high carrot intake, it is not surprising that Bugs Bunny has energy and brain power to outsmart his adversaries! Carrots promote healthy vision, especially night vision, and also help reduce cardiovascular diseases and cancer by combating health-damaging free radical activity. Plus - the vast variety of carrots creates vibrant dishes. I love incorporating yellow, orange, and purple carrots into recipes as they add a beautiful splash of color!
Red Beet Health Benefits
High in antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, the red beet is a great source for betalain which contributes to detoxifying the liver and protecting the body from oxidative stress that often leads to aging and disease. The red beet also improves cardiovascular function and increases athletic endurance. Additionally, the red beet is a folate rockstar! Especially beneficial for pregnant women, folate promotes healthy growth cells.
Truthfully, I would munch on these Rosemary Roasted Beets and Carrots even without the wonderful health benefits because this recipe is incredibly delicious. However, knowing the ingredients are packed with nutrients makes me love this recipe even more. Enjoy!
Do you have memories associated with the distinct smell of rosemary? I look forward to hearing from you!
- 4 medium beets (click here for tips on selecting beets)
- 4 large carrots
- 1/4 C red wine vinegar (or Apple Cider Vinegar for a fruity flavor)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3-4 sprigs fresh rosemary
For more rosemary-inspired dishes, you may also enjoy Rosemary and Garlic Beet Chips.
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Scrub carrots, cut in half and into 2-inch lengths.
3. Peel beets if preferred (beet skins are edible). Cut beets in quarters or cubes.
4. Toss beets and carrots with vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper in a bowl or on a rimmed baking sheet (TIP: rimmed sheets work best as liquid from oil and vinegar may run). Rosemary can be tossed with ingredients or sprinkled on top of veggies. Tossing the herb with the veggies will create more rosemary-infused flavor!
5. Roast vegetables about 35 minutes, tossing once, until vegetables are tender. Cooking time varies on vegetable mass.
6. Garnish vegetables with goat cheese, fresh rosemary sprigs, or Bragg's Nutritional Yeast.