This is one irresistible sandwich! Pickled beets, creamy goat cheese, fresh basil, and crunchy apple slices is a delightful combination. Add a drizzle of sweet local honey, and every bite of this sandwich filled with ooey gooey goodness will make you smile for days.
Are you a fan of grilled sandwiches? Me too. Grilled sandwiches are easy to make, yet they always seem fancy and "gourmet"! I use a mini cast iron panini pan with press that is perfect for creating delicious grilled paninis. If you don't have a panini maker or pan, no worries! You may toast (warm) bread in a skillet on low heat. Grilling the sandwich (with a panini pan and press or a skillet) on a lower temp will allow the apple slices time to roast, increasing their flavor. You may also throw the sliced apples on the panini pan for a few minutes before placing them in the sandwich. I love the taste of grilled fruit!
Deliciously marinated in red wine vinegar and other seasonings, the pickled beets in this recipe are "Cut Beets" from Trader Joe's. If you can't locate pickled beets, you can easily make your own with this Easy Pickled Beets recipe. Not a fan of pickled beets? Don't give up on beets! Roasted red beets or ready-to-eat packaged beets, like LoveBeets, are just as tasty in your favorite grilled panini. However, I must admit that the culinary combination of pickled beets with sweet apple, creamy and grassy goat cheese, and decadent honey does create a delightful experience for the taste-buds. If not using pickled beets, roasting raw red beets with some balsamic vinegar will also create a delicious combo of flavors.
Cheers to deliciously grilled gourmet sandwiches, for a great price and made in the comfort of your own home. Yum!
What are your favorite ways to grill paninis? I look forward to hearing from you!
INGREDIENTS (makes two sandwiches)
- 1/2-1 cup pickled beets, thinly sliced
- 1/2 apple, thinly sliced
- 4 oz goat cheese/chevre (or more)
- 1-2 handfuls fresh basil leaves
- 4 slices bread*
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2-1 tsp honey
- salt and pepper to taste
*A panini can be made with any bread you prefer. Some breads, however, will be more delicate than others. For this recipe, I used Ezekiel Sesame Flourless Sprouted Grain Bread. It was delicious, but flourless bread is sometimes more crumbly when grilling.
- balsamic vinegar
- fig butter
- turkey bacon
- Tofurky Tempeh (bacon)
1. Drain 1/2-1 cup pickled beets. Thinly slice beets.
2. Spread goat cheese on all four slices of bread. On two slices of bread, top goat cheese with beets, apple slices, and basil. Drizzle with honey. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add the remaining two slices of bread to form sandwiches.
4. Lightly drizzle olive oil or a dash of clarified butter on bread sides that will be facing the grill. This will create a crispier grilled sandwich.
5. Cook sandwiches in either a panini press or skillet. Panini Press: Preheat the press on low-medium heat (start low if your stove runs high). Add your sandwich and cook until golden and crisp, about 3-5 minutes. On the Stove: Preheat a skillet with butter or oil to low-medium heat. Add your sandwich, then place a heavy pan on top to weigh it down. Press and cook until golden and crisp, about 3-4 minutes per side.
Serve toasty warm!
A Love Note Regarding Affiliate Links
This page contains affiliate links for items that I love and think you may love! If you purchase through a link I may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you). As always, thanks for the beet love. Cheers!