Beet lovers and beet non-enthusiasts alike will love these Beet & Almond Gluten-Free Pancakes. Because beets have a unique sweet flavor and they are healthy, adding beetroots to pancakes is a creative way to enjoy the beet's deliciousness and nutritiousness in the morning or any time of the day.
Modifications: Depending on your desired sweetness, a dash of stevia or a tablespoon of Grade B maple syrup in place of honey are both delicious options. For juicier and less sweet pancakes, replacing honey with a tablespoon of applesauce also works wonderfully. Top pancakes with butter, syrup, applesauce, or almond-butter. If you are feeling super beet zealous, double the batch and freeze for a fast meal later in the week. Yum!
1. Cut tips off of beets and wrap in tin foil. Roast in the oven at 400 degrees for about 30-40 minutes or steam beetroots for about 20 minutes. For a fast no-fuss option, use 4-5 packaged pre-cooked baby beets found in local markets.
2. Let cool, peel, and discard skin.
3. Cut into small pieces and purée in the food processor.
4. Mix all pancake ingredients together and stir in the puréed beets.
5. Coat pan coconut oil or preferred cooking oil and pour large dollops of batter. When batter starts to bubble, flip and cook the other side.
6. Top pancakes with preferred toppings.
Recipe adapted from sproutandpea.com