I adore beet salads, and the beetroot is so versatile in flavor and texture that it can tossed in a variety of ways. This beet salad is crisp, fresh, and light. Mint is refreshingly delicious and gives a simple beet salad some pizzazz! Adding mint along with apples, ginger, and goat cheese creates a delicious, crunchy, nutritious beet salad, perfect as a side salad or main meal.
This salad is best served chilled as the ingredients are light and crisp. Chilling the salad for an hour will also enhance the salad's flavors as the ingredients marinate and the beets have the opportunity to cool down after being cooked.
The beet salad color varies based on mixing, beet variety, and length of marination. If using red table beets (tossed generously), apples will turn bright pink, creating a vibrant pink and green presentation. If you use other beet varieties, such as Chioggia Beets or Golden Beets, the salad will be more subtle. Do you have a favorite beet salad? I would love to hear from you.
INGREDIENTS (3-4 Servings)
- 3 medium-sized beets
- 2 apples (Pink Lady, Honeycrisp or Granny)
- 6 tbsp mint (roughly chopped)
- 1 lime freshly squeezed
- 1 tsp ginger (grated)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- Sprinkled goat cheese (optional)
Just Beet It Notes
The entire salad may turn pink due to the brilliant red beet color (if you are using the red variety).
1. Boil beets or steam until tender (do not overcook), peel, and slice. Quarter the beets, slice, or cut in cubes. The shape of the beets depends on your preference.
2. While beets are cooking, peel and slice apples. Soak in lemon juice if you wish to avoid browning.
3. Combine apples, mint, ginger, olive oil, lime juice, and a pinch of salt. Toss lightly.
4. After beets are cooked (about 30 minutes boiled, depending on the size of the beet, or 15 minutes steamed), add the beets to the bowl of ingredients.
5. Toss lightly again. Sprinkle goat cheese on top for extra flavor.
Tips for Keeping Apples from Browning
INGREDIENTS: Apples (about 2-3) and juice from 1 large or juicy lemon (3-4 Tbsp)
Peel and core the apples. Place apples in a bowl filled with cold water and 1 Tbsp of lemon juice. Add more lemon juice as needed. Soak for a few minutes. With a mesh strainer, drain extra juice from the apples.