I adore the combination of sweet and savory flavors, and this Beet and Pear Tart with Honey, Thyme, and Asiago Cheese is an absolute delight for the taste-buds!
To be candid, store-bought puff pastries are not my typical "go to" baking items as I am an advocate for fresh non-packaged foods (preferably gluten-free); however, life, especially around the holidays, can be unbelievably busy and sometimes we need an easy peasie no fuss recipe. This is it!
'Tis the season of joyful gratitude, and I am so thankful for family, love, and a blessed full belly. While visiting my wonderful mother and my 100-year-old grandpa in Wisconsin, this appetizer was birthed. Although not a passionate beet lover, my beautiful mother is an amazing supporter, and with an adventurous spirit, she always tries my beet dishes. This Beet and Pear Tart is now one of her favorite beet appetizers!
The vibrant red beet introduces a gorgeous splash of color and flavor combined with the sweet crisp pear and savory cheese. Thyme is the perfect herb for this appetizer as its subtle fragrance compliments the beet, pear, and cheese. Besides its delicious flavor, one of my favorite thyme qualities is its outstanding health benefits. Food Microbiology lists Thyme as one of the herbs that helps preserve foods and protects them from microbial contamination. Adding more thyme to your foods, especially raw produce, will help ensure your food is safe to eat! Plus, thyme contains nutrients, such as Vitamin C and Iron.
These tarts are best served with love and drizzled with local honey. Happy Holidays!
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed and cut into six 4 inch rounds (or as already packaged)
- 3/4 cup shredded Rosemary Asiago Cheese or Cheddar Cheese (or cheese alternative)
- 1 small pear, cored and very thinly sliced
- 1 small red beet* scrubbed, peeled, and very thinly sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh finely chopped thyme
- Coarse salt and ground pepper (to taste)
- Local honey (to taste)
*Use a small-medium raw beet or packaged ready-to-eat organic cooked beets, such as LoveBeets.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Place pastry rounds on a parchment-lined baking sheet and prick all over with a fork.
3. Divide half the cheese among pastry rounds. Top each with 1-2 pear slices.
4. Add 1-2 beet slices atop pear slices and then top with additional pear slices and remaining cheese.
5. Sprinkle with thyme and season with salt and pepper.
6. Bake until pastries are golden brown and slightly puffed, about 15 minutes*. Serve warm or at room temperature.
7. Drizzle with honey for extra flavor.
*Oven temperatures vary. Follow baking directions on puff pastry package or bake at a low temperature and watch tarts for golden brown hues.
Adapted from Martha Stewart (Beet Apple Tarts)